Our chickens come ready to roast – but here are a few pointers to get the most out of your bird.
- Remove chicken from the fridge an hour before cooking.
- Preheat your oven to 220˚C/430˚F/Gas 8.
- Place chicken in a roasting tray and season. Insert the pop-up timer into the breast. Our chidkens have a lovely layer of fat so there is no need to add butter or oil. Pop your herbs into the cavity of the bird, or scatter half over the top.
- Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 20 minutes before reducing the oven temperature to 180˚C/360˚F/Gas 4. Cook for approximately 15 minutes per 500g.
- If using foil, remove foil 15 minutes before the end to ensure crispy skin.
- Remove chicken from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
Roasting Bag – If you wish to speed up the roasting time you can use the roasting bag provided. Prepare the chicken in the same way as above and cook for 10 minutes per 500g plus the additional 20 minutes at the start.
Carefully remove the wings and legs with a bold sharp knife. Carve the succulent meat from the breastbone and pick the rest from the carcass, not forgetting all the bits underneath.
There you have it! A magnificent and plentiful pile of chicken with the most amazing flavour. As your chickens are allowed to mature for longer, you’ll discover they have much more meat, therefore we have provided some delicious recipes here to try with your leftover chicken.